Friday, January 14, 2005

A new year and abdominal pain

I haven't blogged for a while, which you will see has a natural explanation. It isn't because of the tsunami in Asia or the storms in Sweden or the Huygens probe on Titan. It's because my (too long) stay at the hospital due to an infected appendix. In the evening of monday, December 20, my stomach began to ache. I thought it was a minor problem, but when tuesday came and I hadn't slept much at all due to pain, I started to worry. I went to the "ER" or what it's called (akuten in swedish) and they thought it might be some flu or something else. They told me to come back if it got worse or if I got a fever. Two days later in agony, I went back and they saw that I had a fever of 39 degrees, they suspected an infected appendix. I went to the big "ER" at Sahlgrenska and they took a lot of tests and the appendix was to be removed. But then they saw some strange readings on one of the tests, so they tried to fight the infection with antibiotics. A week went by and it got a little bit better and then it got worse. They decided to remove it anyway. So they did. When I woke up it felt a little bit better and a little bit worse. Not the same pain. They had to open up quite a bit, because it appeared that the infection had spread a bit in the abdominal cavity. They had also inserted a drainage for getting out pus out of the infected area. Not nice having a bag on the side of your stomach filling up with yellowred liquid. And they couldn't sew me right back together, because bacteria likes tight sutures. My 20 cm incision was held together by 4 sutures. Anyways, a week later they removed the drainage and when I saw it I thought I was lucky not to have known how long the tubes was that had been inside of me, it was close to 20 cm long. Ouch. Two days later they sew me up with 10 more stiches and a day later I got out. 18 days at the hospital. No christmas, no new years. Only bad hospital food.

Well, now I've been at my mom's to recuperate and to regain some weight. Dunno how that's working. I went from 72 kg to 65 kg in the hospital. It still hurts somewhat to straighten out and to walk around. I hope it will be better real soon.

Anyway I saw The Incredibles today. Quite entertaining, but it would have been nice to see Jack Jack more. I still think Shrek is the best animated move with Finding Nemo a close second.

No comments: